Here are Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds performing ‘Kill That Woman’, in Ljubljana, 8 February 1987, a year that marks a period of escalating turmoil in Nick’s personal life. The interview portion of the video is absolutely charming – Nick flirts with the female reporter and talks about looking for a new home (he finally leaves Berlin in April of 1988). The band play only 12 shows in 1987; Nick’s first book is about to be published, his addiction is worsening, and he reunites with Anita Lane. See Nick Cave chronology following another interesting interview, circa 1996-97, with Nick discussing John Lee Hooker, his feelings toward women, and the motivations behind the Murder Ballads album. Check end of this post & comments for ‘Fixes’! (Post updated 22 July 2009.)
Kill that Woman + Nick Cave Interview (1987-02-08)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (Live in Ljubljana)
Tx to maxosole
Nick Cave Interview (circa 1996) on John Lee Hooker, his feelings about women, and the Murder Ballads album
Tx to conortalbot
Nick Cave Chronology: Highlights from Year 1987
- Feb 8: Ljubljana concert (Nick says the band is looking to relocate.)
- Feb 10: Wim Wenders films the band for Wings of Desire.
- Feb/Mar: ‘Stranger in a Strange Land’ is filmed for VPRO-TV
- April 10: Anita Lane returns to Nick in Berlin at Christoph Dreher’s Dresdener Strasse loft space. Nick’s heroin addiction has reached a critical stage and friends hope that Anita can help. Meanwhile, Nick is involved with Bunny.
- May 17: At Cannes, the world premiere of ‘Wings Of Desire’.
- May 28: At the Amsterdam Paradiso, patrons throw trash as Nick reads from ‘And The Ass Saw The Angel’.
- May-Jun: Die Haut record “Headless Body in a Topless Bar” at HansaTon Studios, Berlin, with Nick Cave, Mick Harvey, Kid Congo Powers & Anita Lane.
- Jun 13: At 6 a.m., Nick and Anita have a violent argument. Anita falls through a glass coffee table and is hospitalized.
- Jun 13: Nick, The Bad Seeds, and friends get completely smashed at the after party for the German premiere of Wings of Desire.
- July: Nick works on editing his book, ATASTA
- Aug 15: Knopf Music Hall – Kings of Independence Festival*
- Aug: ‘Tender Prey’ recording sessions.
- Sep 25: Athina Club, Greece – Nick allegedly shoots up before returning to the stage for the encore and passes out during ‘Kill that Woman’.
- Oct: Ghosts of the Civil Dead shootings begin. By now Nick has cut his hair cut short for the role of Maynard.
- Nov 28 & 29: Two drunken/wasted/pissed and otherwise insane ‘performances’ at the Ritz, Novarella, Italy.
- Dec: Mixing sessions for Tender Prey in London (with Tony Cohen).
- January 1988: Nick is busted for heroin in London. This is the year he finally goes to rehab.
RELATED POST: Stranger Than Kindness (1987, Hamburg GE ) (Feb 23, 2009)
*updated 10 dec 2009 mw