Great vintage pics from The Birthday Party’s live show in Athens, 1982!!
Pop Crimes ~ The Songs of Rowland S. Howard performing Dead Radio at The Palais Theatre in St. Kilda as part of ATPs Release The Bats Festival 26/10/13.
Jonnine Standish – vocals
Harry Howard – acoustic guitar
J.P. Shilo – electric guitar
Brian Henry Hooper – bass
Mick Harvey – Drums
T.J. Howden – violin
These Immortal Souls under the cut…
There are celebrations in St Kilda tonight as the Port Phillip Council has voted unanimous in favour of the naming of a laneway after Rowland S Howard, the legendary guitarist of The Birthday Party, who died from liver cancer in 2009.
The laneway is between Eildon Road and Jackson Street in St Kilda. LINK
UPDATE – April 27, 2013 Watch video of Harry and Angela Howard on the RSH laneaway.
Tx to Deb for the submission!
‘Ave Maria’ at the Rowland S. Howard Tribute at MEMO St Kilda, 1 Mar 2013. Performed by JP Shilo, Harry Howard, Mick Harvey & TJ Howden. Video by Mick Bell.
JP Shilo [is] the star of the show. Rowland was a musician who thought the beauty of electric guitars was that you could defeat their purpose. It’s probably a bit coarse to describe Shilo as Rowland’s protégé since he’s an in-demand guitarist and violinist in his own right, but he’s perfectly captured that mercurial method of playing. He sings as sinisterly as a man pasting up newspaper clippings on his bedroom wall, but he can make a guitar cry, stagger and die with much less effort.
– Jenny Valentish Time Out Melbourne Feb 28, 2013
Selection of Rowland’s cover songs + Live @ The Oxford Art Factory 2009 under the cut.
New bytes, music, film, books, articles, reviews, releases, etc:
Due May 2010: Nick Cave: A Study of Love, Death and Apocalypse by Roland Boer
1. Searching the Holy Books
2. The Total Depravity of Cave’s Literary World
3. Some Routine Atrocity, or Apocalyptic
5. God, Pain and the Love Song
6. Jesus of the Mon, or Christology
7. Hearing Round Corners: Nick Cave Meets Ernst Bloch
Conclusion: Gates to the Garden – The Search for Redemption
Equinox Publishing (abstract/details) Cover by Jeff Iffe
NICK CAVE NOTEBOOK:
– View pages from Nick Cave’s notebooks at The Bad Seeds official site
CANNES FILM FESTIVAL:
– Rumour has it that The Wettest County (renamed Lawless), the film collaboration from John Hillcoat and Nick Cave, will be on the Cannes Film Festival 2012 lineup.
– Blixa Bargeld recently mentioned that he plans to attend a conference on music downloading and copyright enforcement at Cannes 2012.
– Official site: Cannes 2012 Festival
Mick Harvey & JP Shilo music + Autoluminescent review under the cut!
Autoluminescent: Rowland S. Howard | Clip 1 of 2 | Wednesday, 25 January, 9.30pm, ABC2